Monday, November 5, 2007

Busua- mid october

No school today! Apparently it is common knowledge among students but it isn't on the academic calendar or anything. I guess they announced it on the radio and tv but 1, I don't have a tv, and 2, the radio announcements are always in Twi and I don't speak twi well enough to understand that part yet. I just went to Busua to the beach for the weekend and I had a really great time. The biggest storm in the past century had just come through and wiped out a few houses and stuff so we helped a guy clean up for a while and explored the town and relaxed because there was really no beach left. I planned to surf but even the experienced guys couldn't go out so I decided that was a terrible idea. I had some great moments to myself just sitting by the ocean though and reflecting on life. Saturday I stayed at Butre beach at a private resort that we had to hike a couple of hours down the beach, over a mountain, and the across a long footbridge at the estuary to get to. The little fishing village nearest to it was incredible and I spent a few hours playing with the beautiful little children. The night was really nice. I sat around having a few drinks with friends and then they started a bonfire right at the edge of the water because there really wasn't much beach left at all and these amazing rastamen played their drums and sang until the rain came. The storm was so intense and incredible, I was mesmerized by it really. Good weekend overall I must say because the next morning I had a couple of hours to just sip on my tea and write in my journal in a little hut on the water. Most everything has gone into my journal, hence this online thing has gotten very little attention

No comments: